Bihar Board Class 12th English Important Questions Grammar Idioms and Phrases are the best resource for students which helps in revision.
Bihar Board Class 12th English Grammar Idioms and Phrases Important Questions
1. A jigsaw puzzle – Terrorism is a jigsaw puzzle; it cannot be full explained.
2 At any rate – I have to come back to Patna today at any rate
3. At sixes and sevens – My books are always at sixes and sevens
4. At bay – You have to keep this evil at bay.
5. At the expense of – I cannot buy a new car at the expense of my children’s studies.
6. Apple of discord – Kashmir is an apple of discord between India and Pakistan.
7. At daggers drawn – The two friends were at daggers drawn after a minor quarrel.
8. By any chance – He is not going to pass this test by any chance.
9. Be suited to – This is hardly suited to my programme.
10. Bear upon – Your extravagance will bear upon the studies of your children.
11. Bone of contention – Kashmir is to bone of contention between India and Pakistan.
12. Blow hot and cold – Politician master the art of blowing hot and cold in public
13. By hook or crook – He decided to win this match by hook or crook.
14. Bed of roses – Life is not a bed of roses.
15. Be at the wheels – His wife was at the wheels when this accident took place.
16. Between the lines – You will have to read between the lines to understand the purpose of his speech.
17. Bad blood’ – There is already bad blood between the neighbours.
18. Blood upon one’s hands – Macbeth had the blood of King Duncan upon his hands.
19. Black sheep – He is regarded as the black sheep of the family.
20. Cut one short – As I was in the middle of my arguments my teacher cut me short.
21. Catch a Tartar – In this young minister the C.M. caught a Tartar.
22. Cling to – He clung to his version despite opposition from all.
23. Chips of the same block – The smuggler and the contractor are the chips of the same block.
24. Hang, on – The fortune of farmers hangs on the Land Acquisition Bill.
25. Have to do with – I have nothing to do with these lapses.
26. Hard and fast – Rules for eating and drinking in this family are hard and fast.
27. In vain – He tried to stop him; but it was in vain.
28. In black and white – Only shouting will not do; you will have to give this in black and white.
29. In tune with – His action was quite in tune with what he had announced.
30. In cold blood – The robbers shot the landlord in cold blood.
31. Keep one’s fingers crossed – I am hopeful for a new house; but I am keeping my fingers crossed.
32. Look down upon – Don’t look down upon the poor.
33. Leaps and bounds – This family is making progress by leaps and bounds.
34. Make up one’s mind – He has not as yet made up his mind about his career.
35. Music to ears – The announcement of rise in D.A. has been music to the ears of the employees.
36. Move heaven and earth – The child moved heaven and earth for a new toy.
37. Out of tune – The older people are out of tune with the younger generation.
38. Once in a blue moon – I see new movies one in a blue moon.
39. Pull someone round – Ramesh pulled Suman round over his caustic remarks.
40. Put up a brave fight – She put up a brave fight against cancer.
41. Point of view – Explain your point of view on nuclear energy.
42. Part with – They had to part with a number of household goods.
43. Place upon – The office placed upon him many new responsibilities.
44. Pandora’s box – The creation of a new state opens a Pandora’s box.
45. Settle down – Now that you have child you must settle down to a peaceful life.
46. Step out – Because of the rain waters around the flat he could not step out.
47. Switch over – In course of his speech, he switched over to English.
48. Stand up for – I cannot stand up for such nonsense.
49. Snake in the grass – Beware of people who are full of promises-they are snakes in the grass.
50. Try out – You can try out this new medicine for cough.
51. Ward off – You can ward off many diseases by keeping your surroundings clean.
52. Writing on the wall – The leaders failed to see the writing on the wall; and now they are helpless over terrorist attacks!
53. White elephant – The new generator is merely a white elephant.