Students who wish to prepare the Class 8 English can rely on the Bihar Board Class 8 English Book Solutions Chapter 12 Beat the Clock. Become perfect with the concepts of BSEB Bihar Board Class 8 English Book Solutions Chapter 12 Beat the Clock Questions and Answers score better grades in your exams. Detailed Solutions are provided to the concepts by experts keeping in mind the latest edition textbooks and syllabus.
BSEB Bihar Board Class 8 English Book Solutions Chapter 12 Beat the Clock
Ace up your preparation by referring to the Bihar Board Solutions for Class 8 English and learn all the topics within. Click on the topic you want to prepare from the Class 8 Chapter 12 Beat the Clock Questions and Answers prepare it easily. You can understand your strengths and weaknesses by practicing the Questions in Bihar Board Class 8 English Solutions PDF.
Bihar Board Class 8 English Beat the Clock Text Book Questions and Answers
Bihar Board Class 8 English Book Solution Chapter 12 Question 1.
Beat the clock suggests that you finish your work before a particular time. That could also mean that you are punctual. So long as you are at school you are expected to do every thing as per the time table. Discuss, why it is important to do everything in the school according to the time table.
Ravi: I think that with doing everything in the school according to the time table, we be come punctual.
Pranav: Yes, you’ve right. Then we have enough time to do our other works.
Rashmi: If we do any work in time, then we can do more work and in time. It helps us to grow better in life.
B. Let’s Comprehend
B. 1. Think and Tell
Answer the following questions briefly
Bihar Board Class 8 English Solution In Hindi Chapter 12 Question 1.
How can we avoid wasting time ?
By preparing a to-do list and keeping our table clutter-free, we can avoid wasting time.
Bihar Board Class 8 English Chapter 12 Question 2.
Why should we keep our table clutter-free ?
To avoid disturbances of finding things.
Class 8 English Bihar Board Chapter 12 Question 3.
What stag should we take to do the most important things first?
We should fix our priorities. Then, we should make a to-do list. When to do which work.
B. 2. Think and Write
B. 2. 1. Write ‘T’ for true and ‘F’ for false statements.
- Rim him was able to study according to her plan.
- There are many things that disturb us and waste our time.
- Proper organisation and planning can help avoid wasting time.
- It is not necessary to have separate notebooks for different subjects.
- During study time we should avoid , talking to our friends on telephone and mobiles.
- It saves time if we keep the study table clean and free from unwanted things.
- We should never say “no” to our. friends.
- Preparing a list helps us to do important things first.
B. 2. 2. Answer the following questions in about’ 70 words.
Bihar Board Class 8 English Solutions Chapter 12 Question 1.
Why couldn’t Rimjhim study as much as she wanted to do ? Have you ever faced such a situation ? What did you do?
Rimjhim could not control herself talking to a friend on phone for a longtime. The phone call killed her lot of time. So, she could not study as she wanted to.
Yes, I have faced such situation a many times. I couldn’t save my time being spoiled. As halftime, I too had to suffer to not to study as much as I wanted to.
Bihar Board Class 8 English Solution Chapter 12 Question 2.
List the dos and don’ts which can help you save your time ? Do you agree with these ways ?
Do’s that can help us save our time:
- Keep our table clutter – free or neatly.
- Avoid phone calls during study time.
- Being in control of our time.
- Fix separate notebooks for different subjects.
- Study according to our plan.
- Proper organisation and planning of work to be done.
Don’ts – to help us save our time:
- Don’t spoil your time.
- Don’t do phone calls during study.
- Don’t receive phone calls during tasks.
- Don’t talk to your folks during work.
- Don’t chat with your servants while studying.
Bihar Board Solution Class 8 English Chapter 12 Question 3.
Telephone and mobile often waste our time. List some of the ways in which we can use them properly.
Telephone and mobile often waste our costly time. We should use them properly. During our study time we must not attend our phone calls. We should fix time for phone calls. If very necessary, we should talk only important things while on tasks. We should tell the caller to call later after the study time. Or we should self phone to them but after studies.
Bihar Board Class 8 English Book Chapter 12 Question 4.
How does a chart/list of things f o be done help us use time properly ? Discuss.
A chart or list of things fix our mind to do things in’ their important order. Before starting our studies our mind is clutter free about what to do first and what to do next. Priorities have been fixed only while preparing a chart or a list. If helps us to do our work smoother, faster and with a clear status of mind. We are then in no confusion.
C. Word Study
C. 1. Encircle the words with wrong spellings and correct them:
(sistam, marathon ,grammer, writing, necessary, particular, different, debris, inturupt, crazy, shuttle, trevial)
Wrong spell words – Correct spell words
- Sistem – system
- Intrupt – Interrupt
- Grammer – Grammar
- Trevial – Trivial
C. 2. Read the lesson again and pick out the synonyms of the following words, and write them down in the space given below:
(anxiety, discipline, correct, tidily, assist, afterwards, plead, strong, certainly, insignificant )
Words Synonyms from the lesson
- anxiety – worry
- discipline – control
- correct – right’
- tidily -neatly
- assist – help .
- afterwards – later
- plead – request
- strong – firm
- certainly – surely
- insignificant – trivial
C. 3. Use the following phrasal verbs from the text you have just studied iq your own sentences: sat down takeover Makeup call up speak over
Phrasal verbs: Use m sentences
- Sat down (to talcing rest) – Asthey were tired, they sat down for some time to take rest.
- Take over (to win/snatch) – He took over his things ‘ forcely.
- Take up (to pick or to choose) – He took up to become a doctor.
- Call up (to contact on phone) – I ted to call him up in no time.
- Speak over (talk on) – He ted to speak over the matter publicly.
C. 4. There are many compound words used in the text Here are two of them
Pick two more compound words from the lesson. Add ten more such compound words to the list. What do these compound words consist of I For example, notepad consists of note + pad (n + n). Analysethe compoundword in the same way. the list in
- Dinnertime – Dinner + time (n + n)
- Bed time – Bed + time (n + n)
- Time wasters – Time + wasters (n + adj)
- Notebook – Note + book , (n + n)
- Text book – Text + book (a + n)
- Lunchtime – Lunch + time (n + n)
- Pencil box – Pencil + box (a + n)
- Lunch box – Lunch + box (n + n)
- Shoe brush – Shoe + brush (a + h)
- Child care – Child + care (n + v)
- Life time – Life + time (n + n)
- Every time – Every + time (adv + n)
- Something – Some + thing (adj + n)
- Peak time – Peak + time (n+n)
- Extra.ordinary – Extra + ordinary (adj+adj)
D. 1 . Read the following sentences carefully.
- Try to keep your study table clutter free.
- Be firm about not letting other things interrupt you.
- Prioritise your tasks.
All the sentences given above begin With Verbs (Try, Be, Prioritise). So thesar sentences are imperative sentences. An Imperative sentence is a sentence which conveys an advice/ order/command/request etc. and it begins with a verb. In such a sentence, the subject (you) is site and understood.
D. 2. Change the following imperative sentences into state-mats with an object pronoun plus an infinitive.
Example : The mother says to her daughter, “Close the
Class 8 English Book Bihar Board Chapter 12 Question 1.
The teacher says to her students. “Write an essay”.
She wants them to write an essay.
Bihar Board English Class 8 Chapter 12 Question 2.
The mother says to her children, “Turn off the T.V.”
She wants …………
She wants them to turn off the. T.V.
Class 8 English Chapter 12 Question Answer Question 3.
The father says to his son, “Don’t come home tee”.
He doesn’t want ………..
He doesn’t want him to come home late.
Beat The Clock Meaning Chapter 12 Question 4.
The father says to his children, “Study hard”.
He encourages ………..
He encourages them to study hard.
Bihar Board 8th Class English Book Chapter 12 Question 5.
The teacher said to the girl; “Read good story books”.
He advised …………..
He advised her to read good story books.
Bihar Text Book Class 8 Solutions Chapter 12 Question 6.
The student said to the teacher, “Repeat the wad please”.
The student wanted ……………..
The student wanted him to repeat the word.
Bihar Board English Book Class 8 Chapter 12 Question 7.
I said to my sister, “Help me on sunday
I would like ……………
I would like her to help me on Sunday
D. 3. Modals
All the auxiliary verbs except be, do and have are called modals. Unlike other auxiliary verbs modals only exist in their helping form; they cannot act alone as the-main verb in a sentence. They are verbs which ‘help’ other verbs to express a meaning : it is important to realise that “modal verbs” have no meaning by thetnselves. A modal verb such as would bus several varying functions; it can be used, for example, to help verbs express ideas about the past, the present and the future. It is therefore wrong to simply believe that”would is the past of ter : it is many other things.
The modals auxiliaries are : can, could, shall, should, will, would, may, might, oughtto.
Aniket should learn English.
She might win a prize.
Use a base form of the verb after a modal.
He should leave now. (NOT : should to leave; NOT : should leaving)
Modals never have an -s/-es, -ed, or -ing ending.
She can speak English well. (NOT : She cans)
Don’t use two modals together.
You will have to go to school. (NOT : You will mist go to school.)
I might have to leave early. (NOTE: I might must leave early.)
Compare affirmatives, negatives and questions with modals :
Affirmative : Anuj can speak Tamil.
Negative : Anuj can’t speak Tamil.
Yes/No Question : Can Anuj speak English ?
Short answer; Yes, he can/No, he can’t.
WH-Question: Why can’t Anuj speak Tamil ?
Subject question ; Who can speak Tamil ?
To express an obligation or necessity for an action in the present of the future we can use must or have to. There is a difference in meaning.
(a) Must is used when the authority comes from the speaker.
You must eat vegetables and fruits. I insist.
(b) Have to is used when the authority comes from outside the speaker.
You have to eat vegetables and fruits. The doctor said you need more vitamins.
Must does not have a.past, a future or non-finite forms (infinitiving or participles) so it can not we used in tenses or constructions that require those forms Inastead we have to use have to. Have to can be used in present, past afid future tenses.
I can’t talk to you now, I have to go to school.
Anuj had to go to his village to see his ailing mother.
The rainy season has arrived, I will have to buy an umbrella.
D. 3. 1. Complete the following sentences with appropriate modals.
- We ______ visit them in Birmingham for the summer holidays.
- I ______ leave now as they are waiting for me.
- You ______ brush your teeth after breakfast.
- We ______ leave very early tomorrow or we will be late.
- All of us ______ attend a meeting now.
- You look tired. You ______ go to bed now.
- You ______ touch burning items.
- You ______ drive too fast in the city.
- They ______ go out later when the weather improves.
- She ______ been asleep when the burglar entered the house.
- We ______ do the training in order to be eligible.
- You are coughing loudly. You ______ see a doctor.
- He ______ see the doctor every month to treat his skin disorder.
- The police think he ______ seen the robbery and are looking for him.
- Students ______ leave the classroom before the ring bells.
- ______ you pass my pencil to me ?
- You ______ talk aloud in the library.
- I ______ seen my parents fora long while. I visit them at the weekend.
- If you don’t start working harder, you ______ repeat the course next year.
- I have no time. I ______ leave now or I ______ miss the bus.
- I ______ wish I buy a new mobile phone but I don’t have enough money.
- ______ I go to bathroom, please ?
- Ganesha is not at home. She ______ have gone to Patna, I don’t know.
- Anita ______ play cricket quite well.
- ______ we go out tonight, please ? Yes, but you be late.
- I haven’t decided yet where I ______ go in my next hoildays. I think I go to Sikkim.
- What do you Want to do ? Well, we ______ have a picnic, but it looks like rain.
- Phone her now. She ______ home by now.
- ______ you water my plants while I am away ? If they don’t get enough water they certainly die.
- We ______ pay the fees at the fixed time.
- You ______ clean your room more often.
- If it rains on Saturday, we ______ go to the beach.
- ______ you speak Bengali ? No. 1. ______
- According to the forecast on the TV, it ______ rain tomorrow.
- ______ you help me move this table ?
- You ______ remember to do your homework ?
- This ______ be a great idea, but it’s definitely not !
- I ______ move the table. It w-as too heavy.
- I have lost my pen. I ______ to buy a new pen.
- should not
- might have
- might have
- haven’t, should
- should, might
- mi-gm. shouldn’t
- would, should
- would be
- could, would
- can, can’t
E. Let’s Talk
English Class 8 Chapter 12 Question 1.
Work in groups and talk about the things that waste your time. Then make a list and share with other groups. AILS.
Priyanka : To watch many T.V. programmes wastes our time.
Amar: Talking with friends wastes our time.
Ginni: Gossip wastes too much of our time.
Ankit: Chatting with friends too wastes our lots of time.
Amrit: Talking on phone with friends waste our lots of time.
Samriddhi: Shopping and roaming over too wastes our expensive time.
Class 8 Bihar Board English Book Chapter 12 Question 1.
Prepare a chart of ‘Do’s and ‘Don’ts for ‘Saving Your Study Time’,
For ‘Saving our study-time’.
- To fix our priorities.
- To make a to do chart,
- Make our table clutter-free.
- Plan our studies
- To write notes in our right notebooks.
- Keep our notes neat and leave space for extra notes to be written.
- To chart a system for our notes, homework etc.
- Write notes in the right note book.
- We should not keep our study table crowded with all the new and old things.
- We should not attend phone calls during our studies.
- We should not keep out; table cluttered.
- Between studies we should not chatter with our folks.
- We shouldn’t write in any note book but keep sea-rate note books for separate subjects.
Class 8 English Chapter 12 Question 1.
हमें अनुशासनबद्ध होना चाहिए । समयबद्धता भी अनुशासन का ही एक प्रकार है। समय को बर्बाद करने का अर्थ है – खुद को बर्बाद करना । इसलिए हमें समय को बर्बाद नहीं करना चाहिए । समयबद्ध इन्सान ही सफलता प्राप्त करता है।
We should be disciplined. Puncuality is also a kind of discipline. To spoil the time means to spoil ourselves. So, we should not spoil the time. Punctual person can only succeed.
Often you’ll find yourself overstocked with work, most of the time you don’t even know w here to begin. What you have to do, to actually get some work done, is to organise yourself and schedule your work for the day. Write dow n oh a sheet of paper what you believe are the core tasks you need to finish today and afterwards. Expand the list with subtasks and other miscellaneous things.
To avoid confusion, I will fix my priorities. I will make a to do chart or list. What to do first and what to do next. If I don’t feel in right mood to do the first thing, I will do the second or third thing, then I will move for the top priority. Doing the main task 1 will go for other things. Then I will do my subtasks and other miscellaneous things. I won’t chat or talk to a friend in friend in between my studies.
Beat the Clock Summary in English
There are many things which wastes our time. Phone calls are one of them. We should fix a time for phone calls or should not be engaged on phone during our tasks or study time. An, other thing to avoid wasting time is to keep our things neatly and properly. We should make a to do list and fix our priorities. We should also keep our table free from old things and keep our things on some fixed place
Beat the Clock Summary in Hindi
कई चीजें हैं जो हमारा समय बर्बाद करते हैं। फोन करना या किसी के फोन का आना भी उनमें से एक है। हमें फोन करने या किसी से फोन पर बातें करने का एक समय निश्चित कर लेना चाहिए या फिर यह तय कर लें कि पढ़ाई के समय, महत्वपूर्ण कार्य के दौरान फोन प्राप्त न करें। इस सम्बन्ध में अपने मित्रों को भी सूचित कर दें और काम खत्म होने के बाद उन्हें फोन कर लें। अपने पढ़ने के टेबुल को साफ-सुथरा रखें । उस पर पुरानी या व्यर्थ की चीजें न रखें। साथ ही अपनी चीजों को एक निश्चित स्थान पर रखें तो समय बर्बाद होने से बचता है।
Beat the Clock Hindi Translation of The Chapter
Assured (v) [एश्योर्ड) = आश्वस्त किया । Worry (v) [वरी] = चिन्ता करना । Piece of cake (phr) [पीस ऑफ केक] = बेहद आसान-सा काम । Marathon (adj) [मैराथन] = बेहद लम्बा । Yap (v) [यैप] = जोरों से बातें करना । Realise (v) [रियलाइज] = महसूस करना | Down the drain (phr) डाउन द ड्रेन) = बर्बाद हो जाना, नष्ट हो जाना । Finally (adv)[फाइनली] %D आखिरी तौर पर, अन्ततः I Already (adv)|ऑलरेडी) = पहिले से। Bitten (v) [बिटेन] = परेशान होना या बुरी तरह से प्रभावित होना । Time-wasting bug (phrjटाइम-वेस्टींग बग] = समय को बर्बाद करने की आदत | Take charge of (phr)[टेक चार्ज ऑफ] = किसी चीज की जिम्मेदारी लेना। Time-wasters (adj) [टाइम वेस्टर्स) = समय बर्बाद करने वाले
Take over (phr) [टेक ओवर = जीत हासिल करना । To control (v).[ट कन्ट्रोल) = नियंत्रण करना । Proper (adj) [प्रॉपर) = उचित | Organisation (n) ऑरगेनाइजेशन] = संगठन । Planning (n) [प्लानिंग] = योजना Avold (v) [अवायड] – परहेज करना, दूरी बनाए रखना । To chart (v) [टू चार्ट] = सूची बनाना । System (n) [सिस्टम) = व्यवस्था । Unless (conj) [अनलेस) = अन्यथा, नहीं तो । To Set (v) [टू सेट] = निश्चित कर लेना । Chore (n) (कोर) = नित्य कर्म | Folks (n) (फोक्स) = करीबी लोग, परिवार के सदस्यगण एवं मित्र लोग । Caller (n) |कॉलर) = फोन करने वाला । Upset (adj) [अपसेट) = खिन्न, नाराज, नाखुश । Clutter-free (adj) [क्लटर फ्री| – अस्त व्यस्त करने वाली चीजों से दूर होना । Fixed (adj) फिक्सड] = निश्चित, तय । Rummaging (m) [रूमेजिंग) = अनावश्यक वस्तुओं को ढूँढ़ने में होने वाली परेशानी । Firm (adj) [फर्म) = दृढ़, निश्चित । Interrupt (v) [इन्टेरप्ट] = बाधा डालना । Thought (n)[थॉट] = विचार । Distracting (v)[डिस्ट्रैक्टिंग) = ध्यान बंटाना । Prioritise (v) [पायरिटाइज] = अपनी प्राथमिकताएँ तय करना । Particular (adj). [पर्टिकुल। खास Instead (adv)| इन्स्टेड) = अन्यथा । Battling (v)
वैटलिंग) = लड़ना । Elsewhere (adv) [एल्सवेयर) = कहीं और । Spend (v)[स्पेन्ड] = बिताना । Trivial (adj) |ट्रिविअल) = तुच्छ चीजें, महत्वहीन । Tend to (phr) टेन्ड टू साबित होना ।
Hope the data shared has shed some light on you regarding the Bihar Board Solutions of Class 8 English Chapter 12 Beat the Clock Questions and Answers . Do leave us your queries via the comment section and we will guide you at the earliest with help seeked. Stay connected with our website and avail the latest information in a matter of seconds.